Earlier today, the Supreme Court issued its decision in Fisher v the University of Texas at Austin regarding the use of race in admissions. In a 7-1 ruling, the justices sent the case back to the lower courts for additional review. Read the Court’s decision and additional commentary. For more on diversity in medicine, below are 5 seminal articles from the journal’s archive.
- Characteristics of Medical School Matriculants Who Participated in Postbaccalaureate Premedical Programs
Dorothy A. Andriole, MD and Donna B. Jeffe, PhD
- Student Body Diversity: Relationship to Medical Students’ Experiences and Attitudes
Gretchen Guiton, Mitchell J. Chang, and LuAnn Wilkerson
- Race-Neutral Admission Approaches: Challenges and Opportunities for Medical Schools
Ann Steinecke, PhD, James Beaudreau, Ruth B. Bletzinger, and Charles Terrell, EdD
- Educational Benefits of Diversity in Medical School: A Survey of Students
Dean K. Whitla, PhD, Gary Orfield, PhD, William Silen, MD, Carole Teperow, Carolyn Howard, MEd, and Joan Reede, MD, MPH
- The Stanford Medical Youth Science Program: 18 Years of a Biomedical Program for Low-Income High School Students
Marilyn A. Winkleby, PhD, MPH
Also, check out our complete Diversity and Inclusion collection with more than 175 articles from the journal’s archive.