Editor’s Note: Please stay tuned for the submission link, which will be added here prior to the call launch. (We are using the Cadmium submission platform for Cover Art; please do NOT submit your Cover Art through Editorial Manager via the Academic Medicine website.)
We are excited to announce our third call for the Cover Art feature will launch on April 3, 2023! Submissions will be evaluated by a panel of experts in art and medicine. The journal welcomes photography, sculpture, painting, textile work, and other visual media. Accepted Cover Art will be published in Academic Medicine throughout 2024!
The completed AAMC Artist Consent Form is required to be uploaded as part of your submission. We will provide a $100 cash award to each artist for publishing the selected artwork.
- Original works of art that should be inspired by, but not necessarily representative of, an academic medicine experience from any perspective:
- The artwork must connect directly to one or more of the 5 missions of academic medicine. Submissions without a clear connection to one of these missions may be disqualified:
- Clinical care in an academic setting
- Community collaboration
Deadline for submission:
- Submissions must be received between 9AM ET on Monday, April 3, 2023, and 5PM ET Friday, April 28, 2023. Submissions received after the deadline will be disqualified.
- Artists must submit a related artist’s statement between 100 and 250 words as a narrative companion to the artwork, to explain the connection between the work and the “academic medicine experience.” Submissions that do not include a statement of at least 100 words will be disqualified.
- Submissions do not require an abstract.
Art file requirements:
- High-resolution JPEG files with a minimum of 300 dpi resolution are required at the time of submission.
- Images should be 9” x 8” or 1260 x 1084 pixels. If an image is not 9” x 8,” it may be cropped at the editor’s discretion to fit the cover specifications.
- Image files must be grayscale or CMYK.
- One artist can submit up to 3 images (each piece should be submitted separately). Please note we will accept no more than 1 piece per artist regardless of the number of submissions.
Expected timeline for notifications:
- Decisions will be sent between August and September 2023.
Please follow us on Twitter (@AcadMedJournal) for further information about this call for Cover Art, and check out these 5 Tips for a Successful Academic Medicine Cover Art Submission.
If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot wait to see your new submissions!